Here at Medicare Unit Surgery we utilise an electronic system for transferring patient records to and from other GP surgeries called GP2GP.
GP2GP enables patients' electronic health records to be transferred directly and securely between GP practices. It improves patient care as GPs will usually have full and detailed medical records available to them for a new patient's first consultation.
What are the benefits of using GP2GP?
GP2GP delivers a range of benefits, including:
Improved quality and continuity of care
• Full patient Electronic Health Record (EHR) available for the patient's first appointment, which results in a more focused and informed consultation.
• Past medical history available and information about medication, allergies, adverse reaction.
• Immunisations and vaccinations.
• Fewer transcribing errors and omissions, the need to key in information from paper records will be greatly reduced.
• Allergies and adverse drug reactions are flagged for review for new patients, resulting in safer prescribing.
Clinical time savings
• The EHR contains information such as lab results and letters from specialists, which helps in the clinical decision making process. This also means there are fewer request for unnecessary duplicate lab tests.
Administrative time savings
• The need to key information from paper records is greatly reduced. This results in quicker summarisation of new patient records.
Attachments are received electronically, which results in time saved not having to re-scan items into patient's EHR.